Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,100 questions

4,030 answers

4,362 comments

2,663 users

Proper Puncuation Format

0 like 0 dislike

This probably is a rather picayune question, and I haven't seen it addressed by BG or the Community.  When transcribing, is it proper/advisable to put a period after initials or abbreviations; e.g., Rev. L.C. Smith Sr., etc.?  Some indexing I do for other sites state NOT to use periods - just wondering if that holds true for BG transcriptions as well.  Thanks! 

asked Apr 23 in Other by JeanneZie BG Beginner (370 points)

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
Hi JeanneZie.  I see it done both ways, both with and without periods.  In your example above I would note "Rev L C Smith Sr".  I believe it could make it a bit more complex in searching if a period is added, so I do not include the periods.  There may be some in the community with good reasoning as to why a period may be added, but that is my opinion.  Happy graving!
answered Apr 24 by Matt E BG Master (49,380 points)
Thanks, Matt...that was kinda my thinking relating to problems in searching.  I appreciate you quick response, and I will continue leaving off the periods.