Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,066 questions

4,001 answers

4,342 comments

2,635 users

How do I find a grave for a person who died in California but I don't know when

0 like 0 dislike
I am trying to find the grave of my great-grandmother, on my father's side. Her name, according to an immigration record from 1925, her name is Rochel Israelsky married to Moische Israelsky.  Her family called her Grandma Rose. Her first husband's first name is unknown, and his last name is Firstenfeld. She came in 1925 to live with her son Manuel and family in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Years later, she moved to California (I believe, San Francisco), where she died of old age. I tried several combination of names and last names, for no results available.

Could you please help me?

Thanks,

Monica McCrea-Steele (née Firstenfeld)
asked May 18 in Getting Started by Monica BG Beginner (120 points)

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike

Hi Monica!

I tried searching for them as well. It is very possible that your Great Grandmother is not yet on the BillionGraves database. You may want to try searching again with these tips which BillionGraves recommends:

• Don't enter too much information.The more information you enter the more you limit the search results.
  • Try entering just a family name first.If the results are too large then add a little more information to narrow the search.
  • Try removing the "Exact Match" checkmark.Sometimes there are additional names that may be inhibiting your search.
  • Try doing a phonetic search.Names are sometimes spelled differently than you think.
  • Use the location filters sparingly.You'd be surprised how far some of your ancestors may have moved to get away from those pesky in-laws.

If you do not find it you could request the image at: https://billiongraves.com/add-cemetery-requests, but you will need to know the cemetery of which she is buried in. 

You could also try looking on other genealogy sites including findagrave.com.

Hope that helps!

Jared

answered May 18 by J. G. BG Rookie (690 points)