Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

2,866 questions

3,764 answers

4,154 comments

2,462 users

Are these headstones?

0 like 0 dislike

I often see stones such as these in the cemetery:

What are they? Are they headstones or are they for marking borders of family plots? And should I take pictures of them while at the cemetery?

Thanks!

Jared

asked May 19 in Cemeteries by J. G. BG Rookie (630 points)

2 Answers

2 like 0 dislike
Hi Jared, it is likely that they are either plot borders (as you surmised), or individual markers for graves that are likely also inscribed on a bigger family stone in the plot.  If there is a family stone nearby, and I am reasonably certain these small individual stones are part of the same plot, I do photo them, making sure they are linked to the family stone.  Others may have different practices, of course.

Hope this helps,
Celique
answered May 19 by Celique BG Veteran (10,740 points)
Hi! Thanks for responding! I think I will link them when they are in a plot as you said.

Thanks!

Jared
2 like 0 dislike
Jared

They are family plot border markers.  No need to really document them.. Just make sure that ALL the graves located within  the 4 corners are under the same family stone.  EVEN if the last names are different.  A lot of times they are relatives who didn't have their own plot when someone died and a family member gave them one of the ones they bought prior.  A lot of family plots are 8 graves.  Hope this helps.

Dara
answered May 22 by NYHendersons BG Beginner (380 points)