Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

2,849 questions

3,751 answers

4,144 comments

2,451 users

If there is a middle name, what field do I put that under?

1 like 0 dislike
If there is a middle name, what field do I put that under? I'm not sure if it's the woman's middle or maiden name. What do I do if I'm not sure if it's a middle or maiden name?
asked Jul 12 in Frequently Asked Questions by sweetblondegirl BG Beginner (130 points)

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
If the surname is obviously a surname, but the "middle" name could be either a natal name or a maiden name, put both given name and middle name in the first name field.

This is a point of ambiguity in the way BG has the database structured, so just get the name in the fields and it will sort out ok.

To illustate why we dont assume about those troubling "middle" names, for example if the stone reads:

Dorothy Craig Hansen Shepard, what could it mean?

Craig may be a given middle name (her mothers maiden name for example), or it might be her maiden name.

Hansen might be her maiden name or name of first husband;

Shepard could be name of first husband or a second husband.

Remember, do your best to be accurate and if you are in doubt you can always use the SKIP button.

DS
answered Jul 13 by dswright BG Veteran (23,120 points)