Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,022 questions

3,938 answers

4,289 comments

2,598 users

Do I transcribe in all capitals (as it appears on the headstone)?

1 like 0 dislike
asked Sep 30 in Frequently Asked Questions by TNG55 BG Beginner (130 points)

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
NO; That statement by BG actually means to transcribe only the information on the stone.  You should transcribe using Upper / lower case as is usual for names. Do not use all caps.

Dont' feel bad; I made the same mistake when I first started and read that statement LITERALLY also. If you have a chance please go back and correct as many as you can, if you have entered a bunch of records that way.

I am glad you asked before you did a large number of transcriptions that way.

Best regards,

DS
answered Oct 1 by dswright BG Master (29,290 points)
Why does it make a difference whether it is transcribed in all capitals or in upper and lower case? Just wondering.
Hi margb.  From my standpoint, there are two reasons to do upper and lower case.  First, that is what BG has indicated should be used.  Second, in my opinion it looks a lot nicer.  All caps looks like yelling.  It would be nice to have that consistency in the database.  Unfortunately, many people haven't or don't take the time to read the instructions from BG on how they would like this to be done.