Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,170 questions

4,113 answers

4,457 comments

2,728 users

BG Offline for out of Mobile service cemetries

1 like 0 dislike
Hi,

At times I visit cemeteries where there is poor or no Cellular / Mobile phone service.

This means that most functions apart from taking photos works.

I can't check to see what headstones have already been captured.

I have taken thousand of photos to date and have spent an enormous amount of time preparing gravestones so they are legible for transcribing and also that families have an appreciation of where the grave is.

I have found BG difficult at the best of times to be prepared before going out to the cemetery, i.e. cemetery pin maps are not always populated so I am not sure if I am duplicating work already done.

I can't produce a list of who has been documented apart from 10 or 20 per Web page while using the browse function, and if you have 100's or 1000's done already it is pointless.

As a contributor of images for many cemeteries for many years, I do wish that there was some way, these out of range cemeteries could be dealt with,

Alan.
asked Nov 21, 2017 in Taking Pictures by WisperHawk BG Rookie (690 points)
edited Dec 2, 2017 by WisperHawk

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
If you know in advance which cemetery you will be going to, you can send the URL for the cemetery link to BG support and ask them to send you an excel file of the current list. I did that for a church cemetery project near my home and they were very quick to respond. This is especially helpful if you are trying to completely document an older/historic place. That is what I was doing on my project. That way I could set up a checklist on my laptop and highlight the ones that needed new photos or major correction issues.

As for your concern about not being able to get the cemetery map to load on-site, I have also found that to be frustrating. My device is old and not a lot of capacity, so it does not like loading large files.

DS
answered Nov 21, 2017 by dswright BG Master (35,270 points)
Just returned from a Holiday along an area with no Cellular or Internet coverage and lots of Historical cemeteries.

Thanks for the suggestion, this certainly would help next time I venture into these out of the way places.

Alan