Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,100 questions

4,030 answers

4,360 comments

2,662 users

can I take pictures with a regular digital camera?

1 like 0 dislike
OK, I'm not sure what's going on. Thought it was kind of like Find A Grave, where I could take pictures and then upload them. But if I'm reading this right, I have to have GPS when taking a photo. If that's so, don't like it. I have taken many pictures for F.A.G., no GPS. I use my digital camera. But if I have to have a smart phone or some other expensive thing to take pictures for your site, then apparently it's not for me. So do I need a camera with GPS features?
asked 4 days ago in Getting Started by CBrown BG Beginner (130 points)

1 Answer

1 like 0 dislike
The BG is designed to use only their app (Iphone or Android) on a smartphone. It automatically tags the photo with the GPS and pins it to that location in the geo-based mapping portion of the site.  BG does not recommend using a non-BG digital camera.

It can be done but the photos are not considered primary records and are not uploaded as the same kind of file as the app records. They are considered to be supporting records and are not very searchable or useful right now. Maybe in the future.

If you don't already have a smartphone, this BG thing is probably not going to be fun or productive for you. As you are already here, try transcribing a few records and see how it works. Maybe you could do transcriptions and not take photos. There are lots of people who do either photos or transcriptions. and many who do both. All user contributions are appreciated.

DS
answered 4 days ago by dswright BG Master (31,520 points)