I've just started using BG's Request a Photo function, and am having terrible trouble with it. Because I've never used this function before, I'm unsure whether it always behaves like this and people just put up with it somehow, or whether it has only started malfunctioning.
Summary of my difficulties:
1. A couple of days ago, when I tried it for the first time, I couldn't submit a request at all. I would click the link and nothing would happen.
2. Today it has let me submit requests, but gives an error message every time I try to save. I tried a few times, then gave up. I didn't realise that despite the error message, it was actually saving the request each time, and so it created four identical requests for grave A and two for grave B. I only realised this when different people began responding to each of the duplicate requests.
3. I tried to go in an update each request, to say "sorry about the duplicates, going to delete them all except one", but the Edit function won't work. It takes me to an edit screen, but when I try to save my edited request, it tells me "you can't add a request without a family name". This is wrong because (a) I'm trying to EDIT, not ADD, and (b) the request already HAS a family name! So effectively I cannot edit any requests at all.
So I just went ahead and deleted the duplicates, praying that I wasn't offending the many people who had accepted them.
4. I can see the names of the people who accepted each request - and it appears to be their real names, not BG usernames - but I see no way of communicating with them, not even by editing my requests. I cannot click on their names, and there is nowhere to leave comments. One person even added a comment to my request (I don't know how she managed that), which I saw via email, but I cannot see her comment on the Manage Requests screen, nor can I respond to it.
5. My mailbox is now full of multiple "Your photo request has been completed and is ready to view" emails. (a) This is almost physically impossible. I only requested the photos literally minutes ago - am I to believe half a dozen people were standing at the exact graves, cameras poised, when I made the requests? (b) There is no link in the email to the allegedly completed photos. I even searched on the surnames via the cemetery page just to make absolutely sure no one had managed to complete the request in that tiny amount of time. No one had.
6. Even when someone does complete the requests - how will I be able to thank them if I can't communicate with them? My brother is on BG too, and he recently fulfilled a request at our local cemetery for someone. He said he told the requester that it had been done, but he heard nothing back. He thought that was a bit rude. I told him that maybe they have been trying to communicate with him, and can't.
Someone please, please reassure me that this Request a Photo feature has had a major upgrade recently, that the bugs aren't ironed out of it yet, and that BG is actively working on it. Because if it's going to give me this much grief, it's just not worth it.
Finally, a huge thank you to the several kind-hearted people - about eight of them - from Fremantle, WA, who volunteered to fulfil my two requests. The generosity of spirit demonstrated here is what keeps me using BG in spite of the difficulties I sometimes have with it.