Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

2,644 questions

3,455 answers

3,908 comments

2,216 users

How do I make sure the picture is rotated the right way?

2 like 0 dislike
K...so I have been transcribing, and while I am in the transcription window, the picture of the gravestone is rotated the correct way...however, when I got to the record page on Billion Graves, the picture is rotated the wrong direction.  I'm not sure what to do here, because when I am transcribing, it appears to be correct, and then it saves it a different direction.  I only recently became aware of this issue, so if I have transcribed a headstone, and saved it with the picture rotated incorrectly, I apologize.

If anyone has any info on why this is, or how to fix it I'd appreciate it! :)
asked Jun 4, 2015 in Rotating/Zooming by ElderWinters BG Explorer (1,130 points)

1 Answer

2 like 0 dislike

Best answer

This is something that everyone encounters when they start transcribing, and it can make you want to tear your hair out. A picture is the wrong way round, you rotate it, so transcribe, save - and then see that it's back the way it was.

In the absence of any explanation and instructions from BG, the secret of getting the photos to stay rotated seems to be: rotate, WAIT 15-20 seconds, REFRESH the screen, then transcribe and save. It's the waiting and refreshing that seems to do the trick.

If after doing all that, the saved thumbnails are still the wrong way round, click on a thumbnail, and it will should right itself automatically. If it doesn't, try clearing your browser cache.

The best step-by-step instructions I've seen on getting your rotated pictures to stay rotated, and in particular, how to do it even after the images have already been transcribed, were written by Whitejaegar (Jim), and are here:

http://community.billiongraves.com/2028/what-when-pictures-still-side-ways-after-correcting-saving?show=2029#a2029

answered Jun 5, 2015 by Grave_Digger BG Master (91,040 points)
selected Jun 10, 2015 by ElderWinters
Awesome.  Along with that, I also heard from the Billion Graves Tech that even if the picture still appears wrong to me, that it is right in the system, and that it looks like that because of the browser cache.  So that explains why refreshing would fix the problem!

Thanks