Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,200 questions

4,146 answers

2,756 users

Find A Grave site images are always better

1 like 0 dislike
I haven't seen this addressed on this Community Board.  In transcribing I often run into blurry, debris-strewn and object concealing headstones. So I check to see if Find A Grave has a photo and many times they do and they are very clear photos so I can get accurate information to accurately complete information. Does Billion Graves ever monitor the quality of photos taken; and are those photographers alerted to the errors so they can improve?  I see that many times the same photographer continues making the same errors when they take pictures and upload them.  I realize that we are all volunteers and the time/work is truly appreciated.
asked Jun 3, 2016 in Taking Pictures by JeanneZie BG Beginner (370 points)

1 Answer

1 like 2 dislike

The quality of images has been addressed many times in this community in the past. The short answer is that BG do not appear to monitor the quality of photos or transcriptions...or at least it is not done in an obvious way because nothing has changed since I first started contributing here.

In saying that I think your comment "Find A Grave site images are always better" is a gross overstatement and an insult to those of us who do take the time and make an effort to get the best photo possible.

There are excellent, crystal clear photos here that don't exist on Find A Grave and probably won't for a long time because Find A Grave is geared towards armchair memorial collectors who don't need to leave the house to build their mini empires.  

answered Jun 3, 2016 by Whitejaegar BG Master (91,380 points)
well said!   after taken around 25000 images   and with a samsung s5 with 16mega pixels   the pictures are sharp but the software billions use to zoom in   is not great  quite often its shows blurred when zoomed in