Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,170 questions

4,113 answers

4,457 comments

2,728 users

How to fix completely mismatched transcriptions?

2 like 0 dislike
I don't know how this record was created this way.  The headstone and the transcription do not match at all.  It is as though someone typed in a completely different person's (correct) information on top of the wrong headstone.  

Any ideas?  
https://billiongraves.com/grave/person/16032642
asked Aug 28, 2016 in Corrections by janderse BG Beginner (140 points)

4 Answers

1 like 0 dislike
There have been numerous times when the images transcribers see don't match the images we are actually transcribing. For example, I may be seeing an image for John Smith (1911-1974), but in actuality, the image I am transcribing and should be seeing is for Jane Doe (1875-1959). Some sort of glitch that randomly pops up now and again. I only know about it because I ran across it several times over the last 4 years on my own photos.

Paul
answered Aug 28, 2016 by MHGS_ICT_CemProj BG Explorer (4,540 points)
1 like 0 dislike
Yes, I've seen this many times as well.  I suspect some sort of system bug as well, although it is possible to create this situation through record merging and linking/unlinking, if one is not careful.

The only reasonable action in my opinion, is to re-transcribe the record, replacing with the data on the actual headstone in the picture.

Celique
answered Aug 28, 2016 by Celique BG Veteran (10,760 points)
1 like 0 dislike
This exact same issue has happened to me -- I am both the photographer and the transcriber and what appears to have happened is the corresponding photo for the transcription was either not uploaded or incorrectly linked by the app because the photo was not uploaded.

I just discovered several of my own images that have incorrect transcriptions and in looking through my pictures have found 6+ photos so far (out of 1100) that are missing from the site yet say they were uploaded in the app.  If I transcribed on my phone which I sometimes do (especially if the grave is very hard to read and can really only be read in person) and the photo is not uploaded the transcription still is uploaded and is attached to another photo.  I have been flagging these pictures on my phone as I always add them to the camera roll as well and trying to manually upload them to attach but it becomes a real problem because when you merge the new photo and transcription with the other transcription it links it to the old incorrect photo and even if you unlink it then the transcription still stays with the wrong photo!  It is very frustrating.  

So long story short - what have I learned from this experience - I will no longer being using the link feature in the app because it links them inappropriately if a photo does not upload and I will no longer be transcribing in the app either.
answered Aug 29, 2016 by pharm55 BG Beginner (270 points)
0 like 0 dislike
HI:

1. I agree with the others who responded - some kind of upload glitch.

2. I corrected the one you llinked, but it also revealed a second mislinking, so had to correct that one as well.

Celique is right.

i if you see this in future, the best thing is to just remove all the wrong info and replace it with the information on the stone in the image. You do have to be careful to remove all military and other added in notes as they will be saved wit the new names. Military is a problem as sometimes you have to go down to that field and delete it there.

I think this may occurs more often when there are multiple people taking photos and field transcribing at the same time.

DS
answered Nov 10, 2016 by dswright BG Master (35,270 points)