Welcome to the BillionGraves Community! An amazing community of users from every corner of the globe here to help you in your BillionGraves endeavors! Join the movement and connect with others to create the world's largest GPS cemetery database!
Welcome to BillionGraves Q&A, where you can ask questions, receive support, and look at answers from other members of the BillionGraves community.

3,165 questions

4,103 answers

4,448 comments

2,725 users

How to filter graves for transcribtion by country and language?

1 like 0 dislike

I'd like to transcribe some images. I've tried to filter photos to receive only russian-language images. from Russia. But it does not work, i still receive photos all around the world. Also, i've tried to add country filter, but still no effect. What am i doing wrong?

asked Aug 31, 2016 in Cemetery Filters by Akjshdfka BG Beginner (150 points)

3 Answers

1 like 0 dislike
Sadly the BG filter system does not usually work well for this kind of selection. I just tested it using URDU, which I don't read or speak, The Language index says there are three stones in URDU, but there are no listings for either Pakiston or India, which have this as an official language. I also tried it for US and UK, which have sizable ethnic populations from those Urdu speaking countries but nothing came up. It just kept giving me transcription choices in my local zone. All are in English.

A number of times users have asked BG to work on these filters and each time they fiddle with something and it works for a while, bu then goes buggy again.

I also just tested it with Russian and also got only 1196 Russian language returns, but it would not let me select a cemetery in any country, so the bugginess is back again.

I also browsed the map and I think all of those 1196 Russian stones are in one cemetery and it looks like the photograph/transcriber still has those within the 14 day window, so they would not come up for either of us. I browsed around and could not find any other open Russian/Russia stones available for transcription.  

Also, with this sorting system, unless someone has already set the language field to Russian, it would not be able to find them by this method.

Maybe some other user knows a work-around; it may just be that there are not many photographers working in Russia, and thus no photos to transcribe.

I have often come across stones with Cyrillic alphabet, which I recognize, but not sure what is the base language, especially in cities in the northern US and Canada. Maybe you could look for these and transcribe them properly. They are often badly done by those who don't even recognize the alphabet!
answered Sep 1, 2016 by dswright BG Master (34,510 points)
Sad story(( In my opinion, it almost nullify the idea of transcribtion by other users( I've tried to combine different variants of filters, but the system gives me each time graves from Israel  (but I don't know their language, and can't trascribe such gravestones), or english-language graves (but i don't want to trascribe them, as i believe there are much more english native speakers on this resource, who can do it, and on the same time there must be not so many russian(ukrainian)-language speakers there, so it should be more helpful of me to transcribe russian\ukrainian gravestones).
So glad you can do both Russian and Ukrainian. I can recognize several alphabet groups but not read enough to know for sure if it is Russian or Ukranian. When I first started doing corrections, a lot of "UNKNOWNS" are one of those, Greek, or Hebrew.

One way to find this kind is to use the daily Site Index.  Go to the bottom of the main page and you will see "Site Map" and Site Index in dim letters. Open site index and then pick a date. They are in order for every day/month of the year. At the top are names that either are lacking a surname, badly formatted or UNKNOWNS. A fair number of the unknowns are in languages other than English where the transcriber did not know that they should SKIP.

Start with the first of August this year, as I have done as many usual corrections up to August 12. I am pretty sure there were several stones in Cyrillic or Cyrill/Hebrew in there. Also look for Mapa as a given name - it is almost always Cyrillic, (Is it Mother?) Try searching for bad transliterations of Mother, Father, and other common words found on Russian and Ukrainian stones.

And thanks for trying to contribute this way. I wish my Spanish were a little better and I have better understanding of family naming customs. That makes such a difference in having correct and proper transcriptions.
HI DS.  Seems like we're looking at similar issues.  I also go to the site index and look at the daily report, starting with the names at the top.  There are probably at least 1/3 where I can figure out a last name, generally by looking at something that should have been linked. I must admit it is getting harder to remain excited to do this, as it is the same mistakes over and over again, and reporting the mistakes makes no difference.  But it is pretty cool to add a name on to someone's record, knowing that it may make it possible for that person to be found in someone else's research.

If you see cyrilic inscription with such letter it

IS:
Ґ(ґ), Ї(ї), Є(є) - ukrainian (Ґ(ґ) looks similar to Г(г),Ғ(ғ),Ѓ(ѓ))
Ѓ(ѓ), Ѕ(ѕ) - macedonian (Ѓ(ѓ) looks similar to Г(г),Ғ(ғ),Ґ(ґ))
Ў(ў) - belarusian 
Ұ(ұ) - kazakh
Ћ(ћ) , Ђ(ђ) - serbian
Ќ(ќ) - macedonian
Ӯ(ӯ), Ә(ә), Һ(һ), Ӣ(ӣ), Ҳ(ҳ) ,Ҷ(ҷ)  - tajik (Ӣ(ӣ) looks similar to Й(й); Ҳ(ҳ) to Х(х)Ҷ(ҷ) to Ч(ч))

NOT:
И(и) - belarusian  

CAN BE:
Ғ(ғ) - kazakh, tajik (looks similar to Г(г),Ґ(ґ),Ѓ(ѓ))
І(і) - ukrainian, belarusian, kazakh
Ү(ү) - kyrgyz, mongolian (looks similar to with Y(y))
Њ(њ)Љ(љ)Џ(џ), Ј(ј)  - serbian, macedonian
Қ(қ) - kazakh, tajik (looks similar to К(к))
Ң(ң) - kazakh, kyrgyz (looks similar to Н(н))
Ө(ө) - kazakh, kyrgyz, mongolian (looks similar to О(о))

CAN NOT BE:
Ё(ё), Ы(ы)Ъ(ъ), Э(э)  - ukrainian, bulgarian, serbian, macedonian 
Ь(ь),Ю(ю), Я(я), Й(й) - macedonian, serbian (Й(й) looks similar to Ӣ(ӣ))
Щ(щ) - belarusian, serbian, macedonian (looks similar to Ш(ш))

Also if you see "ТАТО" word it is ukrainian "father", if "ТАТА" its belarusian. That is from common words from the gravestones, which i saw.

Also note: 
- Kyrgyz, tajik and kazakh people are usually muslims. So, if you see cyrillic common letters at a muslim cementery, there is hardly possible that this person is from Ukraine\Belorussia and so on. There more chance for him to be russian, kyrgyz, tajik or kazakh person;
- Ukrainian, belarusian, macedonian and serbian people are usually christian; 
- Mongolian and bulgarian are "mixed" as far as I know, but i can be wrong; 
- For Russia it depents on the concrate location. Most people are christians, but there are some regions where Islam is a major religion, also there are some regions with buddhist majority; 
- Kyrgyz, Tajik and Kazakh folks has not only cyrillic alphabets, so, you can't be 100% sure you see not one of this folks grave if you see latin or arabian letters.

Wow - this is a great primer on cyrillic recognition. Thanks so very much. This will be very helpful when one of us encounters such stone, so we can set the language and then SKIP to the next stone.
1 like 0 dislike
HI:  I finally found the link I was looking for. Go to this cemetery and you will find a lot of either Russian or Ukrainian markers that have been very badly done.

This mess was reported to BG support some time ago, but apparently no one has tried to clear it up.

https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/SaintsPeterandPaulCemetery/78488#

Come back if you need futher help on how to do corrections. I know it is a lot easier if you do them before someone has messed it up, but do them if you can.

Good luck.

DS
answered Sep 2, 2016 by dswright BG Master (34,510 points)
Thanks for the link. I've edited for about 10 first pages (records which were wrong), and will continue later.
Hello! I'm Russian and I transcribe both Russian and English cemeteries. The problem with filters is awful.. How to filter the https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/SaintsPeterandPaulCemetery/78488# ???
0 like 0 dislike
Dear Akjshdfka,

if you like ti transcribe in Russian, pay attention to Moldova - most of the tombs are in Russian.
answered Sep 6, 2016 by sonia_romanova BG Explorer (1,090 points)